Tulalip Tribes Departments header image

Getting Married at Tribal Court

There’s a lot of business you can take care of at Tulalip Tribal Court including being able to get married per the Domestic Relations Code (§ 85). In order to get married, you must first obtain a marriage license from the Tribal Court Clerk who will charge a filing fee of $100 (please pick up a marriage license instructions and forms packet from Tribal Court or see link below to download packet).

The marriage ceremony may be performed by any recognized clergyman or person recognized by his religion as having the authority to marry persons; the judge here at Tribal Court; or, any person recognized by Washington State law as having the authority to do so.

The marriage license, once property endorsed by the authorized person performing the marriage, shall be returned to the Court Clerk who will then issue the couple a marriage certificate.

Certain qualifications apply before you can apply for a marriage license: 1) at least one of the persons to be married must be an enrolled Tribal member; 2) must be at least 16 years of age but less than 18 years of age with the written consent (properly notarized) of their guardian, and 3), must obtain a blood test 30 days prior to the marriage saying such test is negative of any transmittable disease (an affidavit can also be filed at Court attesting that the individual is free of said disease).

The Tribal Court will then forward your marriage license and certificate (and/or dissolution) to the Snohomish County Auditor’s Office for recording.

The Court Clerk will keep a public record of all marriage licenses and certificates.

The couple wishing to marry in Tribal Court may bring witnesses, guests, and take pictures during the ceremony.

Download the